Sunday, April 19, 2009
I can't believe it's not yogurt!!!
What do you think is the white thing in the picture? It looks like yogurt but actually it's not yogurt! Can you believe that??? This is called "Kefir". Have you ever heard of it? It's originally from Caucasus, Russia. It's considered to be healthier than yogurt since it contains yeast. It's fermented so it's like Natto for Japanese, Kefir tastes much better than Natto though:P. Of course I like Natto too:)
It's really hard to find "live" Kefir(I'm not sure if this expression is correct or not) but you can get powder one(the left one in the above picture) here in Japan. My sister always get the powder one so I don't know where you can buy it in Kumamoto.
Here is the procedure to make Kefir. You only need Kefir powder and a carton of milk.
First, put Kefir powder into a carton of milk. Then leave it somewhere warm(I recommend by an elecrlic pot or a rice cooker)and wait for a few days. That's it!!
It's said that Kefir is sour but with this powder you can make sour-free one. You don't need any suger or jam to sweeten it like yogurt!!
[194words][1899words]
Posted by Takako at 7:50 PM
Labels: food, my favorites, my murmurs
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment