CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

BR1-01 CALIFORNIA Oxford bookworms2


For the first essay of this class, I chose a book about California. I've stayed inland LA, CA about 4 years ago and I've wanted to know more about CA. That's way I chose this book to begin with the book review assignment this semester.

This book is consisted of 9 chapters which are "The golden gate bridge" "The Gold Rush" "San Francisco" "Parks" "Highway1" "Los Angeles" "The Desert” ”San Diego" and "California". There are also some exercises at the end of this book so you can check how well you understand the contents of this book. It's written in brief British English and each page has colorful pictures so you can easily imagine California's old and present days. In chapter 4, you can learn about California's world famous parks. There are mainly four famous parks; Humboldt Redwoods Park, Yosemite National Park, Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon National Park. They are so surprising that Hmbolt Redwoods Park is a twenty year-old forest and Yosemite National Park covers more than 1,600 years square kilometers of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. In the north of Yosemite, there is a famous lake called "Tahoe" which is 35 kilometers long and 19 kilometers across. There are a lot of private spaces around the lake so you can't access these areas but there are also some public parks there so any visitors can enjoy spending time around the lake. Another beautiful nature you can enjoy in CA is the deserts. In the east of Los Angeles, there spreads a big desert called "Mojave Desert". If you visit there between March and May, you can see hundreds of poppies blooming there. Also, it's not so hot in May so May is the best time to visit there all the year around. There are more enjoyable places for tourists in CA such as beaches and hill city San Francisco.

After reading this book, I realized that people might think of entertainments such as Hollywood, Disneyland, Universal studio, beautiful beaches and other amusements when they imagine CA but the most beautiful aspect of CA, I think, the nature. I’m planning on visiting CA again to meet my host family sometime soon. I want to visit some places which are introduced in this book.
[375words]

0 comments: