Sunday, April 26, 2009
BR1-03 NEW YORK OXFORD BOOKWORMS1
New York is said to be the most exciting city in the world. What do you imagine when you hear “New York”? As for me, I imagine very high buildings called skyscrapers and yellow cabs with Asian drivers. I’ve seen a lot of movies and TV dramas which location is New York. I know present NY but I don’t know much about its history. I want to learn about NY’s history from this book.
The beginning of NY is date back to about four hundred years. At that time, Algonquin Native Americans lived there. One day, A British man called Henry Hudson came up a river, which is now called Hudson River, to Manhattan in 1609. 17 years later, a Dutchman, Peter Minuit came to Manhattan and bought the land for about 24 dollars from the Native Americans. Only 24 dollars! I guess, at that time, it was worth far more than today’s 24 dollars. He made a community in a little town called New Amsterdam. Over 500 people came and lived there by 1647. A Dutchman, Peter Stuyvesant, governed the town at that time but the British deprived the town and changed the name to New York. In 1776, Independence war happened and the people of North America beat the British in 1783. New country the United States of America was born and George Washington became the first president of the country. By 1790, about 33,000 people lived in New York. Moreover, millions more people started to come to live in New York from all over the world. Variety of peoples such as German, Irish, Italian, Polish, Czechoslovakian, Russian, African, and Chinese immigrated to New York. Many of these “New Americans” involved in building the first skyscrapers and bridges. Each people made each community and there are still Chinatown and Little Italy in NY today. To be a new American, people had to land to Ellis Island first. All the people had immigration examinations there. At the end of this book, you can see a map of NY so you can check each place’s location.
Nowadays, a lot of people visit NY from all over the world. This book gives you some advises when you visit NY. Please remember: don’t carry a lot of money with you, don’t travel on the subway alone at night, stay with the crowds late at night, Go into the nearest hotel or shop if you suddenly feel afraid and something like these. I’ve never been to NY and I want to visit there for sure. I’ll keep in mind the caution.
I didn’t know that the Native Americans lived NY first and Dutch bought the land from Native Americans. I didn’t even know that Dutch involved NY’s History that much. It was so surprising that a Dutchman bought the land for about 24 dollars. Also, I didn’t know there was Little Italy. If I have a chance to visit NY I want to visit there and have some Americanized Italian food (Or Can I have authentic Italian food there?). Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book and my imaginary NY trip through it.
[519words][3237words]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment