
Do you know whether or not “England” equals to “Igirisu” in Japanese? Last semester I took British affair class. Until then I didn't know that England is not equals to Igirisu. Actually, England is a part of Igirisu. I wasn't interested in England since I've mainly studied American English so far. After taking the class, I came to be interested in Igirisu which is United Kingdom, aka UK, in English. It's officially called “The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”. I still don't know about UK much. I want to learn some more about UK reading this book.
There are mainly 6 topics in this book. The topics are “Beautiful England”, “Who are the English?”, “Places to visit”, “Going out”, “Sports and events” and “Come and visit”. The most interesting topic in this book is “Going out”.
In this section, you can learn about “Cinema and Theatre”, “Clubs and Music”, “Eating and Drinking”, “Clothes” and “Shopping”. When you want to go to see a movie, you can visit IMAX theaters which have big screens or multi-screen complexes which have four or five small cinemas. Mr. Bean and James Bond 007 are famous worldwide. Shakespeare, one of the most famous writers, was born in Stratford-upon-Avon. His house is still there so you can visit his house. Next to the River Avon is the Royal Shakespeare Theatre and you can see his play there. Kenneth Branagh, an English actor and film director, made Shakespeare’s play into movies. There are famous theaters in the west end of London. If you go there in the afternoon, you can get cheaper tickets. I recommend you to go there in the afternoon.
Clubbing weekend is one of the entertainments for young people. “Cream” in Liverpool and “Ministry of Sound” in London are famous and popular. England produced some world’s greatest pop stars such as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Queen, Phil Collins, the Spice Girls and Oasis. All of them are famous in Japan.
Speaking of English food, “English Breakfast” and “Fish and Chips” are famous. There are eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding and fried bread in English Breakfast. Black pudding is a kind of sausage which is filled with pig or cattle’s blood, bread, meat, fat, sweet potato, oatmeal and barley. Chips are deep fried potato strips which are called french fries in America.
I knew most of the things in this book and I learned some new things such as Shakespeare’s house and black pudding. Black pudding is a little bit wired to me but I want to try once. I can hardly imagine the taste. Every country has their unique food. Natto for Japanese, Rotten tofu for China, and something like these. I think we can understand other peoples culture by eating their original dishes. It’s often said that England’s food are not delicious. Although, you can never know if the food is delicious or not until you try it yourself. I want to know more about England’s food and I want to try it. I want to make sure myself if it’s delicious or not. Also, there are some historical sites to look around so I want to visit the sites someday.
[536words][2435words]
Monday, April 20, 2009
BR1-02 ENGLAND Oxford Bookworms1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello Takako!
Thanks to visit my blog.
I'm so happy.
I'm going to upload bout Papua New Guinea and intoroduce lots of things.
I'm so glad if you visit sometimes.
By the way, England is my fist place in overseas.I spent a month there. So England is my precious place more than any place.
Thanks again,
Toshi.
Hi Toshi!
You've been to England!? Which part of England did you stay? How was the food there? Food is the most important thing to me!! I want to visit there someday!
Post a Comment